Wednesday, June 1, 2011

For those of You with a little Fru-fru in your soul...

I have to say, I'm not much of a girlie girl.  Pink and I have been on questionable terms for the past few years, but every now and then, I go back to my little girl roots.  Have you ever seen the artwork of Degas?  Here are a few examples (eat your heart out, Cara!).



 I love the semi-translucency of the skirt in this picture.  Also roses...what woman doesn't love roses?




I think the coloring on this skirt is really interesting.  Looks feathery, doesn't it?  I think it's interesting how much focus and detail he put into the skirt and how little he put into the actual girl.  The contrast really draws your eye.


Eeeek!  I think this one came straight out of my daughter's dream from last night!  Dressing like that would be my worst nightmare, and her greatest delight.


This was actually painted later, but I prefer the depth of the pencil sketch.  I especially like the shading around the shoulders and back...looks so delicate.


I'll occasionally have some more layman's art reviews.  This was my attempt to make my scrub-a-dub Mommy lifestyle a tad more couture.  Sometimes I eat Belgian chocolate, too.

images courtesy of Wikigallery.org

2 comments:

  1. Degas must have really been impressed with dancers. I really love the first and last one. There is something about pencil sketches, hmmm. . .

    Have to say, the girlie girl in me struggles with the tomboy who grew up with two brothers. I love makeup, but prefer jeans. I love chocolate, but love a really good beef stew. I am tall and lanky and not a bit graceful, but have always wished for the grace of Jackie Kennedy and others. Must say, my reading is very girlie girl. I still identify with Anne Shirley, Laura Ingalls (Wilder) and Jo March.

    Well, this had nothing to do with your art critique. Oh well, you sure do get me thinking. Guess that is part of why I love your blog so. You always make me think and get a response out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah,
    You didn't need to apologize. I think I'm making peace with the fact that I really am older than some, but have much to learn from others (sometimes the "others" are younger than I am). I realized that I was becoming an "older woman" when I was asking fewer homeschooling questions than I was answering. It's not a bad place to be. It's becoming more relaxed and at home in my own skin, it feels good. I celebrated the 15th anniversary of my 29th birthday on my last natal day. You can do the math :)

    ReplyDelete