Friday, October 7, 2011

A Lady Who Thinks She Is Thirty

by Ogden Nash

Unwillingly Miranda wakes,
Feels the sun with terror,
One unwilling step she takes,
Shuddering to the mirror.


Miranda in Miranda's sight
Is old and gray and dirty;
Twenty-nine she was last night;
This morning she is thirty.


Shining like the morning star,
Like the twilight shining,
Haunted by a calendar,
Miranda is a-pining.


Silly girl, silver girl,
Draw the mirror toward you;
Time who makes the years to whirl
Adorned as he adorned you.


Time is timelessness for you;
Calendars for the human;
What's a year, or thirty, to
Loveliness made woman?


Oh, Night will not see thirty again,
Yet soft her wing, Miranda;
Pick up your glass and tell me, then--
How old is Spring, Miranda?


****Editor's Note: You know, Andy was just calling me 'loveliness made woman' the other day.  This poem is to officially wrap up my birthday week  Turning 31 wasn't nearly this traumatic, but I could relate and laugh over this one...especially the first two stanzas.  Have a great weekend all!

3 comments:

  1. I really love this poem. Funny thing is, I was that afraid of turning thirty. As thirty came and went, and the thirties stayed even longer, I am really loving these years. I am more comfortable in my skin than I ever thought possible. I love my thirties, and I love this poem. Have a wonderful weekend, as you say goodbye to your birthday week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree with Christine.....the thirties are much better than the twenties. I am 34, and I feel, like Christine, I am more comfortable in my skin and in my body. And I like the fact that people still think I am in my twenties!! That is cool!!! :>) Happy Birthday Week!! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember 30 being a big deal. That still seemed young. Now 40...it still makes me cringe! :)

    ReplyDelete