Thursday, June 5, 2014

A Contrast

I was struck this morning by a verse in Psalm 31.  It's a real contrast of the world's solution to hurts and problems and the Lord's solution.

Verse 6 says: "I have hated them that regard lying vanities: but I trust in the Lord."

When hardship comes, when our feelings are hurt, the norm seems to be to air our feelings and get some sympathy--especially on social media.  It's not wrong to be transparent and honest about our feelings, but all too often, we're looking for the 'lying vanities' of nice people to soothe our pains away.  People will tell us everything will be okay, people will tell us nice things about ourselves, but that's not the best solution.

As for me, I'd rather trust in the Lord and bare myself to Him, for as verse 7 goes on to say, He knows my soul in adversity.  No one understands me and my troubles like the Lord.

I also want to be the kind of person that doesn't feel obligated to practice social niceities, but has genuine love and counsel for those who are hurting.

It's been a great reminder to be real, and take my troubles to the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment