Monday, July 23, 2012

A Reading Update

We've been enjoying our time off school the last couple months.  The older babies have been reading here and there for their library reading program, as well as our usual Bible and reading aloud time just after lunch. I'm very pleased to announce that we've begun to read an abridged version of Swiss Family Robinson together after lunch.  It's been a big hit--full of animals and imagination and excitement.  In fact, I have to say, it was one of my personal favorites growing up.

As for me, I'm continuing through Agatha Christie's autobiography, a really intriguing read.  She has a light style, but I've actually learned quite a lot about the culture of her time and class.  I'd highly recommend it, and I'm only halfway through.  In fact, Hercule Poirot has just begun to develop.  There are so many adventures to come!  It's also full of all sorts of quirky observations, such as her assertion that when in love, a woman has her beauty heightened; she glows.  A man looks uglier because he's feeling so smitten and worthless.  Hmmm...I have seen this on occasion, but I'm not so sure it's a hard and fast rule.  At any rate, it's a very interesting thought!

I also recently bought and finished a book of a more practical nature.  It's called Large Family Logistics by Kim Brenneman.  I plan to review it soon (well, as soon as I get around to it anyway), and I've already begun to implement some of her suggestions with success.  It has been great food for thought for me personally, as well as an encouragement.

I'm very excited about what the school year has to hold for Scott and Cara.  I'm really looking forward to the day when they can sit down and read a chapter book on their own, and they'll be quite a bit closer after this year's worth of learning.

I don't know about you, but there are some books I associate with certain events in my life.  I remember what I was reading when we were house hunting, during visits to family growing up, during my early married years (ie...before kids when I had time to read on a regular basis).   What a joy to look back at this summer and remember what we were all reading!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting association of reading material and life events. I can think of very few. I remember reading The Cost of Discipleship during stress-filled days at IBM. I remember Equiano and some others for college classes, but more because of their impact in theme than any link to an event. For me, it is more often particular music that I associate with a certain time in my life, for good or bad.

    ReplyDelete